Barry C. Smith
Dinner & Social Night
Australasian Journal of Philosophy
Authors' Instructions: Submissions
Contact the AJP
Publisher's AJP pages
Table of contents alerts
Australasian Philosophical Review
Alan Saunders Lecture
Nancy Sherman 2017
Annette Baier Prize
Innovation in Inclusive Curricula Prize
AAP Media Prize
Media Professionals' Award
AJP Best Paper Award
Postgraduate Presentation Prize
Publications & Reports
Learning and Teaching Philosophy
Women in Philosophy
Conferences / Public Lectures
Add to my calendar
Director, Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry
27 Jan 2014
Australian Catholic University, Melbourne
Director, Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry,
Faculty of Theology and Philosophy, Australian Catholic University
Australian Catholic University invites expressions of interest in the role of Director of its newly-established Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry.
The Institute, which is thoroughly Catholic in spirit, is first and foremost a research organization, which sets its sights on the highest standards of intellectual work, seeking creativity, collaboration and originality as well as rigour and thoroughness in its scholarship at an international level.
The Director of the Institute will direct, animate and inspire a research agenda which includes ongoing programs in Biblical Studies and Early Christianity; Catholic Thought and Practice, including Inter-religious Dialogue; Moral Philosophy and Applied Ethics; Philosophy and Phenomenology of Religion; and Society and Religion; and a team of accomplished scholars.
Reporting to the Executive Dean, the Institute Director will lead the Institute and work collaboratively with the Associate Dean Research and the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research on the development of the plan for the Institute and on the annual research outcomes.
More specifically, the Institute Director will:
* Establish and maintain a national and international research profile of exceptional quality both on an individual level and for the Institute
* Lead and manage the development and implementation of the Institute's research strategy and in achieving performance indicators and targets
* Lead the strategic planning and implementation of the Research Institute, building on the existing research strengths of the Faculty and extending its research into identified areas that align with the mission and strategic goals of the University
* Establish strong partnerships between the Institute and appropriate entities external to the University.
* Provide leadership to Program Directors and research institute staff to advance the objectives and outcomes of the Institute, including:
o achieving high quality research outcomes;
o managing the Institute budget and funding;
o securing external funding (including through nationally competitive grant schemes); and
o building a strong research environment to support research higher degree candidates.
* Build and develop strategic research partnerships with key external partners to identify and negotiate opportunities for collaboration (including collaborative publications), securing research funding for the Institute and enhance the reputation of the University.
* Develop the profile of the Institute through representation, engagement and the development of linkages with professional, industry and community groups relevant to the Institute.
* Establish and maintain the national and international research profile and reputation of the Institute and Programs.
* Coordinate and develop the Institute's annual report on research outcomes, annual funding proposal, and implement any changes required to the Institute plans and programs.
* Shape the research direction of the Institute to develop and maximise high quality research outputs.
* Identify and mentor outstanding researchers (including Early Career Researchers) to facilitate opportunities that will assist in building and enhancing their research capabilities and experience.
* Facilitate and embed cross-Program research across the Institute and University.
* Undertake Higher Degree Research supervision.
* Contribute to research strategy and policy development in the Faculty.
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT
The appointment as Director of the Institute is for a period of five (5) years, renewable based on performance.
This position is based at the St Patrick's campus, in Melbourne.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the Faculty, see
For more information and a confidential discussion about the appointment of a Director, please contact Bill Kett or Brad Beumer at Heidrick & Struggles on
+61 3 9012 3049
Australasian Association of Philosophy
ACN 152 892 272
152 892 272