SENIOR LECTURER BIOETHICS
CENTRE FOR VALUES, ETHICS AND LAW IN MEDICINE (VELiM)
SYDNEY SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
REFERENCE NO. 1781/1011
* Teaching and research role
* Work within an interdisciplinary, collaborative setting
* Full-time continuing, remuneration package: $125K-$144K p.a. which includes leave loading and up to 17% super)
The Sydney School of Public Health (SSPH) and the Centre for Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine (VELiM) invite applications for the position of Senior Lecturer in Bioethics.
The SSPH provides internationally recognised leadership in public health by advancing and disseminating knowledge in the public health disciplines. It does this by providing high quality, accessible education; conducting outstanding, high impact research; and participating effectively in professional, governmental and community activities. The School has earned an outstanding reputation for the quality of its research work and for the expertise of its academic staff. VELiM is an independent university centre within the School. Academics at VELiM engage in postgraduate and undergraduate education, research, ethics consultation, and community outreach, crossing disciplinary, professional and socio-political boundaries in order to promote dialogue and understanding. Researchers at VELiM engage in major collaborative projects using empirical and theoretical methods to examine diverse issues in public health, clinical and research ethics including obesity, cancer screening, genetics, risk, biotechnology, transplantation, stem cells, health policy, drug prescribing and medical decision making.
The position offers an opportunity to expand your disciplinary knowledge, teaching skills and research experience in bioethics and to further develop your national and international profile as a bioethics researcher and scholar while working in an innovative, interdisciplinary setting. You will be expected to maintain an active research program and publication record, engage in collaborative research projects and apply for competitive research support from granting agencies.
To succeed in this role you will have:
* PhD (or equivalent) in bioethics or a relevant discipline
* strong research and publication record and ability to attract external funding
* demonstrated potential to recruit and supervise postgraduate students
* administrative experience and computer skills commensurate with the ability to develop and manage postgraduate programs in bioethics
* teaching experience in bioethics or the health social sciences at undergraduate or postgraduate level and familiarity with web based teaching support
Preference will be given to applicants with disciplinary knowledge and / or teaching experience in additional fields relevant to bioethics and those with research interests or ongoing projects that complement those of the staff at VELiM and the SSPH
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit http://www.sydney.edu.au/positions and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 12 January 2012
The University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney